Services Provided For Birth Parents
For women and men facing decisions about a pregnancy:
- Free counseling to discuss all your options until you arrive at a decision that you are comfortable with, even if that is not adoption. No one is ever pressured to choose adoption.
- If you choose to parent, you may receive counseling and training for parenting if you wish. You may also receive referrals to other agencies that may be able to provide assistance.
- If you choose adoption:
- You can select the adoptive family for your child.
- You can meet the adoptive family if you choose.
- You may involve the family in the pregnancy and birth, if you want to.
- You still choose your prenatal care, your physician and hospital, your birthing plan, the amount of time with the baby.
- You receive hours of support counseling as well as specific preparation for the adoption process- free of charge.
- You may receive some financial living support under the guidelines of New Mexico adoption law. This support is provided by the adoptive family through the agency and is paid to a third party, such as a landlord or a grocery store, etc.
- We provide birthing support and interfacing with the medical team to make sure the process goes smoothly.
- You will receive independent legal counsel to fully inform them of all your legal rights in regard to the adoption- free of charge.
- You may request letters, pictures, and even some level of structured visits with the adoptive family and child until the child is 18.
- You may receive as much counseling before and after the birth of the child for anything related to the adoption with the agency until the child is 18 years of age (as long as the agency is in business)- free of charge.